Every year, NCCR Robotics opens a call for proposals for projects for PhD and Postdoc candidates who wish to spend a period of 3-6 months in an NCCR Robotics lab. Interested students must make contact with their preferred lab to seek opportunities.
Deadline for applications: 31 July 2017 for exchanges to take place between 1 Dec 2017 and 30 Nov 2018.
Read some stories from our previous grant winners to see if this programme might be for you.
NCCR Robotics offers financial assistance to PhD students and Postdocs from both inside and outside our organisation to take part in a 3-6 month collaborative project in a field related to the NCCR. Up to three scholarships of a maximum of 9,000 CHF will be awarded to cover living and travel costs. The scholarship is open to:
1. PhD/Postdocs from the NCCR who would like to go abroad (N.B. preference will be given to projects taken in conjunction with our partner institutions)
2. PhD/Postdocs external to NCCR Robotics who would like to complete a project in an NCCR laboratory. For a full list of NCCR laboratories please see our website.
Women applicants will be given priority.
In order to apply for a fellowship applicants must first contact an NCCR professor or a professor in the partner’s institution to discuss which potential projects may be available. See bottom of the page for a list of partner institution. A full list of NCCR Robotics professors can be found at http://www.nccr-robotics.ch/people
Once professorial support has been obtained the student should submit a complete application, comprising:The application should contain the following:
1. A PDF document containing a brief description (maximum 1 page including references, font size 12) of the project as agreed between the hosting professor and the student. The document should highlight the relevance of this visit for the PhD/Postdoc current research.
2. A CV of the candidate including a list of publications.
3. A detailed budget showing all costs that will be incurred through participation in the exchange programme including travel and accommodation. Only accomodation costs that exceed those incurred by the student in his home institution will be taken into account.
4. A motivation letter showing how work completed during the programme will contribute to the goals of the NCCR and promote the PhD/Postdoc career.
5. One letter of recommendation.
6. Written confirmation from the host institution.
7. Written confirmation of matching fund from PhD/Postdoc advisor (compulsory only if the advisor benefits from an endowed chair, e.g. associate or full professors at EPFL/ETHZ) where required, to ensure that total salary is 2,500 CHF per month or higher.
All items should be submitted in English. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with the title “PhD/Postdoc internship application”.
The submission deadline is 31st July 2016. Notifications of acceptance/rejection will be sent out by the end of October 2016. Please note that successful candidates must start their internships between 1stDecember 2016 and 30th November 2017.
NCCR Robotics Partner Institutions
1. ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories, Kyoto, Japan
2. University of California, USA
3. Universitat Politectnica De Catalunya, Barcelona (Centre D¹Estudis Tecnologlcs per a l¹Atencio a Ia Dependencia i IaVida Autonoma), Spain
6. DLR German Aerospace Center, Germany
10. UPMC, Paris (Institut des Systèmes Intelligents et de Robotique), France
11. NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California, USA
12. Universität Karlsruhe, Germany
13. LAAS-CNRS Laboratoire d’Analyse et d’Architecture des Systèmes, Toulouse, France
14. MIT (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory), MA, USA
15. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, IL, USA
17. Stanford University, CA, USA
18. Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, IL, USA
19. Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy
20. The University of Queensland, Australia
21. University of Southern California, USA